Let's begin with a short Q&A:
- During your career, how many times have you come to a role by applying for it
- How many times has a role come to you… through a personal introduction, reference or invitation?
- Have you had roles where your CV/resume was a formality?
- Have you had roles where relationships were what opened the door of opportunity?
I think I can guess how you answered these questions. I know my answers to these questions, and from years in management and senior leadership roles, I owe many introductions to opportunity to relationships.
- Business is about relationships, about trust, about network circles.
- Business is about who you know, who knows you, and, what you are known for.
The difference is that ten years ago, business was about personal relations gained through direct professional circles of face to face interaction. Today, it’s about personal relationships extended, and often originated, in ‘digital circles of influence’.