Recruiting a trans employee
“I was turned down for a job as the employer was worried about what customers might think.”
Ensuring that your recruitment process matches your inclusive policy is another very important issue. While our survey shows that 71% of trans people reported no discrimination when applying for roles, that leaves 29% of people who have suffered discrimination during an interview.
A trans employee has the same rights as anybody else and should be assessed on their ability to perform their job.
Some 38% of trans people surveyed had at some stage experienced discrimination from a colleague in the workplace our survey showed further 25% received similar treatment from managers. The survey also shows an additional 36% of people who have left a job because the workplace was unwelcoming.
“Being asked personal and offensive questions like, but what's your actual name though? so have you had the 'snip' yet? hold on. If your girlfriend is Trans too aren't you both just gay men? so which toilets do you use? so do you fancy any of the guys at work?...but you're gay right? really? you can't think you're a woman, you're a man...no you're a man!”
We also found that half of the people we surveyed felt the need to hide their status from their employer or work colleagues for fear of discrimination although our survey showed that only 10% of trans employees had received a negative reaction after disclosing their trans status.
The survey highlighted the main reasons for trans people not disclosing at work were a lack of support, fear of discrimination, lack of awareness in the workplace and the fear of rejection.
Stonewall offer a wealth of information about how to make sure that your policies are trans inclusive which can be found here. Additional information can also be found at GIRES which provides information on supporting black, Asian and ethnic minority (BAME) trans people and the specific issues that they face.
Our results show that the best ways to dampen the fears of the transgender employee are simple, inclusion, support, understanding and education.