Nurturing the magic – ensuring integration
Five key steps for managing mavericks:
1. Embrace this talent and develop appropriate expectations that are realistic and help create a stage for them to challenge their own effectiveness. Both the team and individual will benefit from this mindset.
2. Let him see that you have a genuine interest in him - his ambitions, frustrations, self-doubts, and that you want to be of help.
3. Encourage integration into the team and work hard to create an understanding that giving back is as important as taking. He may have a different talent to others but it is equally reliant on others to shine.
4. You have a challenge to maintain his individuality because this can serve as an inspiration for the team to evolve to new strengths. He may need a stage to keep this individuality, which in turn will promote personal growth.
5. Mavericks need to know you will support and defend them, but no more so than other team members.
Mavericks throw up an array of leadership challenges, but if you learn to nurture the magic, this talent can take a team to unprecedented levels of success.