Kursty Groves-Knight, founder of Headspace, presents at Changeboard's Future Talent Conference 2015.
How can you use your physical space as a tool and amplifier in your business? Firstly, take a closer look at your employees: “Spaces aren’t creative, people are,” was Groves-Knight’s key message.
“Our physical environment affects how we feel, how we are and it also brings people together – so why are we not bringing this fundamental principle into the workplace?” she asked.
“Our physical environment affects how we feel, how we are and it also brings people together – so why are we not bringing this fundamental principle into the workplace?”
In a study by the University of Exeter, Groves-Knight examined an agile workspace against an enriched one. Just adding plants, art and colourful surroundings drove up productivity by 17%. A further study showed organisations that empowered employees to take part in the design of their workspace saw this figure nearly double, to 32%.
One emerging trend is activity-based working, which Groves-Knight agrees is a great concept but stresses is not a “cut and paste exercise”.
She summarised with three key takeaways: Firstly, think about how to make your workspace effective; secondly, empower people through their environment, giving them the opportunity to take a role in its creation; and finally, evolve, keep the spaces changing and
moving because, like people, technology and business, they should be dynamic.
What should a creative space look like? “You decide. It’s what’s unique to your people and organisation,” she said.
Watch Kursty's full presentation
Social media feedback
Catch up on all the speakers presentations from Future Talent Conference 2015
- Jim Carrick-Birtwell, CEO of Changeboard & Plotr: Welcome to Future Talent Conference 2015
- Gurnek Bains, author & co-founder, YSC: What does globalisation mean for leadership culture?
- Clare Moncrieff, executive advisor, CEB: Reinventing HR: Harnessing the potential of key talent segments
- Hayley Tatum, senior VP of people, Asda: Shaping a multi-generational workforce for the digital age
- Piers Linney, co-CEO of Outsourcery: Awakening diversity in the digital age
- Kursty Groves-Knight, founder, Headspace: Space Matters: How physical environment can enhance creativity & innovation in our digital world
- Alain de Botton, philosopher and author: Developing a mindset for change
- Peter Cheese, CEO, CIPD: Megatrends for HR
- Robert Bolton, partner, KPMG: Decoding the HR dilemma
- Alan Watkins, founder & CEO, Complete Coherence: What planet are you on? Tech-driven human development
- Christine Deputy, group HRD, Aviva & Atif Sheikh, CEO & partner, Business 3.0: Creating a new Aviva
- Porteur Keene, executive chairman at Changeboard: Closing Future Talent 2015
By Sarah Clark
Online features editor at Changeboard
You can cancel email alerts at any time
Thanks! You have been subscribed to receive emails about the following subjects.
- Sarah ClarkRemove
Get more with Changeboard
Changeboard is a global HR jobs site, career advice resource and events platform to help HR and recruitment professionals find the perfect job to progress their careers. We're here to help you change the way you work.Register now